Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Life as a Spouse, Life in the City, Life in Korea, Life of the Beloved

As I sit at the computer (listening to Rylynn by Andy Mckee via YouTube– taking me back to college days), I finally have a minute to reflect…


to breath…


to think.


The last 6 months of my life have been incredible.


They have been filled with blessings, with tears-joyful ones and sorrowful ones.


It’s so difficult to try and describe everything we’re experiencing in our new lives here in Korea, within the context of everything we’ve been through. In a span of 3 months, I (and Shelli) had to say goodbye to my very best friends (cough cough… Kirby, Bran, Mark, Cort, Cory, and more cough cough) and church (filled with too many relationships to leave behind), obtained a work visa for Korea (which took much more work that I had assumed), got married to the most beautiful woman that I’ve always dreamed of being with, said goodbye to my ENTIRE family, and then flew to another country (by the grace of God) to begin an adventure teaching in Korea.


There are a few things that have driven me to this point in my life. First, I’ve always thought it was an extremely sad reality to hear people much older than myself admit, “Yeah… high school was the best time of my life!” Now don’t get me wrong, I’m glad that they can look back and be glad for all their experiences and memories… but I’d like to think instead that the best times are still to come! I’ve been so blessed and I still have so much to look forward to! I will never forget sitting in the FEBC in Mount Vernon for an entry level Psych class and hearing Prof. Bryan speak about life. One thing she mentioned was that a study was done with a group of people over the age of 65. When the results were pooled, the researchers noticed one thing that stood out among the rest. For this particular population group, they had stated that their biggest regret in life was that, “I didn’t take enough risks.” For some reason this struck me. That was over four years ago, and I have not soon forgotten it.


Risks. I’m sure it can be argued that everything is a risk. Living, breathing, driving can be risks. Getting married, getting an apartment, going to college, dating someone new, investing, taking a new job, quitting an old job, learning, serving, even just being. All are risks. I’ve been blessed in the risks I’ve taken. Sure, you end up with some mistakes and headaches, but I think that when we take risks – even the small ones – our Father allows us a glimpse of His reality. I think he invites us to, “live life to the fullest.” Let us not forget that Christ came “that we may have life, and have it to the fullest.”


And that’s what I want to share in my first post. That I am seeking “carpe diem,” to seize the day, and appreciate each one for what it is. It’s so refreshing to pray with my wife in the morning, and thank God for his many blessings. The very fact that I am alive is a gift from God. One of the other teachers here in Korea, Collin, shared an old Puritan prayer. In it, the prayer-er thanked God for limbs that are mobile and free to move. How simple – yet profound!


I leave you with us (the whole 3 readers I’m sure I have!), may we seek to seize each day, recognize it as a gift, live in the moment, and don’t forget to take risks! May the peace and grace of God the Father, Son, and Holy Spirit reside in your heart this day.

1 comment:

  1. thanks for letting us know how life is going. I think about you two often...brave, blessed, and amazing christians. with love for you both, Eliza

    ReplyDelete