Friday, March 30, 2012

Busan Vacation - Day 3

I did my best. I'm not sure if I'm sore today from the volleyball yesterday, or from actually being sick. Whatever the reason, I didn't want to let it get me down! The running/stuffy nose and itchy eyes may have irritated me , but I didn't let it get in the way of rest and fun with my beautiful wife. After taking our time this morning, we went to the largest department store in the world (Guinness Book of World Record certified) - the Shinsegae Dept Store.





One thing to note here was how different they did there food court. We learned this one all on our own. :) It seems what you do is go to the Ticket counter and order food. They give you this little buzzer with a number, and then you stare at the screens until your number pops up next to the correct restaurant. From which you then head to the correct vender and get your food. Not really sure why they do it this way, I'm sure somehow its cost efficient - I just don't see it. The food was really good, though!



And then there are those things in Korea that, as a foreigner, you tend to stay away from while you're on your own. One of those things are fish markets. Before today, I can only imagine how silly a couple of foreigners would look trying to figure out the process on their own. Luckily, Caleb and Mina from the Busan church plant team had open enough schedules to get some grub with us. The process:
  • choose a fish vender (from the multitudes!)
  • choose several fish for the purpose of consuming
  • pay for fish
  • go up one floor and sit at a table
  • eat the fish that were enjoying life only moments ago... raw and wrapped in sesame leaves
  • eat the fish head soup that comes after the meal
  • pay for use of the table and any side dishes separately
  • go home full
Okay, so it doesn't seem too bad. But in the heat of the moment while miscommuncation is running its course - it gets to be hard to process what is occuring. Anyway, we were super thankful that we got to hang out with Caleb and Mina and grab some dinner and desert with them! It was an overall awesome day.



No comments:

Post a Comment